Sunday, April 19, 2009

citrus overload

Marmalade

vin de pamplemousse
This past winter, we subscribed to a winter farm share which sourced produce from all over the east coast. The share was very reasonably priced and kept us away from the dreaded supermarket all winter. Perhaps our favorite part of this weekly box was the tree-ripened organic citrus that appeared every week, 3-4 pieces at a time. Sometime in February we got an additional free box of fruit as reward for turning a friend on to the program. Suddenly we had more citrus than we could eat in a normal way. We gave away some of it, but eventually I was forced to research, then make, large quantities of marmalade.

Last week, our fruit bowl was overfilled with grapefruit, and I searched til I found a recipe for vin de pamplemousse in Chez Panisse Fruit. We're practically teetotalers here, but I thought it might be nice to offer a special aperitif to guests, as Marilla Cuthbert might offer raspberry cordial. So I made a hefty purchase of the requisite spirits (7 bottles in all!) and stirred it all up in a big jar. It will be another month until it's ready to sip.

Both of these efforts made only a small dent in our supply, and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed as all these oranges and grapefruit begin a steady march towards the compost. I would make more marmalade, but I am weary of using so much sugar; I'd make more vin de pamplemousse but I don't have another big jar and wine is expensive in those quantities. Besides, both of these are best when the fruit is not already so tired.

No comments: