Thursday, December 27, 2007

Marzipan


Here is this year's marzipan. I made around 200 pieces to distribute to friends and family.  As you can see, I made pears, apricots, carrots, oranges, onions, garlic. Last year I made some very darling sprouted garlic cloves. The oranges have whole cloves stuck in them to imitate the stem end. I used small twigs and broken cloves for the pear stems. The apricots' stems are made of cardamom seeds. 

My marzipan is made entirely from ground almonds, beginning with almond paste: I ground blanched and slivered almonds to a fine powder in our very powerful blender. Then I stirred in a sugar syrup and some kirsch, cured the resulting mass for several weeks, then kneaded it with one egg white and a quantity of confectioner's sugar. The recipe is taken from the Joy of Cooking (1975 ed.), and from all the ones I've tried, seems the best. Last year I did extensive research on flavorings. I tried hard to replicate the flavor of my favorite commercial marzipan, Niederegger. This year I saved stones from nearly every peach, plum, and apricot we had this summer intending to use their noyaux, but when the time came, I elected to add just a few drops of almond extract instead of grinding those kernels of bitter almond flavor.
I typically form the pieces forty at a time, let them dry for an hour or so, then paint them with food coloring diluted with water.

1 comment:

Kara said...

Hi, just happened upon your blog. We are the only two on blogger.com who list "leeks" in our interest section. Interesting. Just wanted to say how awesome your little marzipan vegetables are. I miss marzipan and have often thought of doing this myself-- is it very labour intensive?

Thanks for the very nice read! >8)